I used cake flour to make for a delicate, tender cookie. Then I chilled the rolled dough in the freezer before baking to improve the texture and help keep their shape.
Lemon Sugar Cookies
Makes 2 dozen cookies.
½ cups butter, softened
1 cup Baker’s (ultrafine) sugar
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
¼ teaspoons salt
¼ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1-½ cup + 3 Tablespoons cake flour
Sugar of choice for rolling cookies (I used powdered sugar this time but also like the texture of turbinado sugar)
- Cream butter and sugar in large bowl until light in color. Mix in vanilla, egg, lemon zest, and juice. Scrape down sides of bowl.
- Whisk together dry ingredients (all except for rolling sugar) in separate bowl. Slowly add to wet ingredients until just combined.
- Roll dough into tablespoon-sized portions and place on cookie sheets lined with parchment paper (or lightly greased). Chill in freezer for 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove cookie dough from freezer and dust in sugar.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until bottom of cookies are golden brown. Remove from oven and let sit on cookie sheet for 10 minutes. Transfer to cooling rack.