This recipe was adapted from The Pioneer Woman’s Macaroni & Cheese recipe. I originally made it for a Christmas gathering then altered it for a gluten-free version to serve at my best friend’s baby shower. Both ways are delicious..though it’s hard to go wrong when indulging in so much cheese 🙂
Mac & Cheese
Makes 6 entree-sized servings.
- 1 box pasta (I normally use Dreamfields pasta for the fiber content; use brown rice pasta like Trader Joe’s Brown Rice Penne Pasta to make it gluten free)
- 1 whole egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick or 4 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup AP flour (or gluten-free rice flour)
- 2-1/2 cups 2% or whole milk (although still high in fat, these options are better than some recipes that use heavy cream)
- 1/2 lb. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 lb. mozzarella cheese (low moisture, part skim), shredded (or 1/2 lb. monterey jack cheese, shredded)
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cook macaroni until very firm (slightly less than directed on box) and drain. You want it very firm because it will continue baking after prepared. Beat egg in a small bowl.
- Melt butter over medium-low heat in large pan. Add flour and whisk together. Whisk constantly for 5 minutes.
- Add milk and whisk until smooth. Increase heat to medium (depending on my pan, I sometimes have to increase it to medium-high) and cook for 5 minutes until very thick. Reduce heat to low.
- Slowly add 2 Tbsp. of the milk mixture to beaten egg and whisk constantly (to avoid cooking the egg). Add another 1/4 cup milk mixture, whisking constantly until smooth.
- Add egg-milk mixture to pan, whisking constantly. Stir until smooth.
- Add in cheese, salt and pepper. Stir until melted.
- Stir in cooked pasta and pour into baking dish.
- Top pasta with extra cheese and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and slightly browned.